National Seniors Exclusive
Multiple departures available. Enquire for more details.
Seat options from Economy Class-Limited View to
Two Full-Service Qantas meals plus snacks
Full Bar Service including champagne, beer, spirits and soft drinks
Choose your viewing on the in seat entertainment system
Knowledge and leadership by experienced Antarctica
specialists and photographers
On this approx. 16-hour return flight, we aim to celebrate some of Antarctica’s most celebrated Antarctica history. Weather and time permitting, our plan is to follow Captain Robert Falcon Scott’s route to the South Pole on the outward journey. We will endeavour to pass over Ross Island which Scott used as his base for his attempts on the South Pole. From there we plan to follow Scott’s route south across the Ross Ice Shelf towards the Transantarctic mountains where it may be possible to fly over the Beardmore Glacier, which Scott used as his pathway from the Ross Ice Shelf up to the Polar Plateau.
From the Transantarctic Mountains we will continue across the Antarctica Polar Plateau (the dome of ice which comprises central Antarctica) all the way to the South Pole. Conditions and regulatory approval allowing, we hope to see the South Pole Station, manned year around by a team of international scientists.
If time allows, we hope to return via Roald Amundsen’s South Pole route, travelling South to the Axel Heiberg Glacier, which was Amundsen’s route from the Ross Ice Shelf to the Polar Plateau. From there we will attempt to travel across the Ross Ice Shelf to the Bay of Whales, Amundsen’s start points, and the location Amundsen moored his ship, the Fram, for his South Pole expedition. It is from here that we will make our way back towards Australia, where the flight will end.
Qantas Dreamliner: Providing optimal comfort and space
Providing optimal comfort and space for every passenger is at the core of the Qantas Dreamliner design which features 236 seats - less than most other aircraft of its type. The aircraft is fitted with state-of-the-art technology to reduce turbulence, improve noise quality and reduced aircraft vibrations for a smoother flight. Every seat has been designed to offer the ultimate
comfort for long-haul flyers. The windows on the Dreamliner are 65% larger than comparable aircraft windows, providing an increased sense of space and the opportunity for passengers to see more of the world.
We take the health and safety of our passengers and crew seriously during COVID 19. As such we will be undertaking these additional COVID
safety measures during your Aurora flight, in partnership with Qantas and airport authorities:
- In the days prior to departure and for the peace of mind of all passengers, everyone boarding the flight will be required to complete a Health and Safety declaration form.
- A contactless temperature test will be conducted on all passengers prior to embarkation (depending on transmission rates in the state of departure at the time). Those people with a fever (38°C or higher) will be denied boarding, but, will receive a credit for a future Southern Light Flight.
- To reduce congestion on board, not all seats in Economy Class will be utilised. This will allow more space for passengers.
- Each passenger will receive a personal Qantas pack for the flight including disposable mask, sanitiser and disinfectant wipes.
- There is enhanced cleaning of the aircraft with a disinfectant effective against coronaviruses including during the seat swap process. The aircraft’s air conditioning system is fitted with hospital-grade HEPA filters, which remove 99.9% of all particles, including viruses. Air inside the cabin is refreshed every few minutes, ensuring high air quality.
- Additional sanitisers will be available on board throughout the duration of the flight.
- Depending on transition rates in your state at the date of departure and the latest medical advice at the time, there may be additional measures implemented closer to departure.
A non‑refundable deposit per passenger is due at the time of booking equivalent to:
1. Economy class seats AUD$500.00 per person
2. Premium Economy AUD$750.00 per person
3. Business class seats AUD$1000.00 per person
Final payment of your booking balance is required eight weeks prior to your departure date.
All fares and charges are per person in Australian dollars, including GST.
Should your 2021/2 season flight not be able to depart due to government restrictions with coronavirus, you can choose from either of the following:
1. Transfer to an alternative departure date at no extra cost.
2. Receive a full refund, excluding $75 per person administration fee.
3. A 100% travel credit to use when booking other Chimu Adventures product.
If you cancel, the following fees will apply;
1. Between confirmation and eight weeks prior to departure – full loss of deposit.
2. Between eight weeks and four weeks prior to departure – full refund less 50% cancellation fee.
3. Between four weeks and departure date – no refund
Travel insurance is strongly recommended.